Friday 26 July 2013

I FEEL LIKE A KID AT CHRISTMAS- NEVILLE

Had things worked out differently, Phil Neville would have been preparing for a TV career this summer.
Having agreed a role with the BBC, Neville would have been readying himself to go head to head with big brother and Sky pundit Gary. Some contest that would have been.
As it transpires, Neville is here in the steaming, stifling heat of Japan. It is the hottest day of the year in Osaka and Neville Jnr is wearing the colours of Manchester United once again as he prepares for a training session at the Nagai Stadium.

It is a coach’s top he wears now. Neville has been recruited as one of new United manager David Moyes’s staff and is struggling to wipe the grin off his face.
‘The couple of days before pre-season, when I knew I was coming back, was probably one of the proudest times of my career,’ Neville told Sportsmail. ‘The first day back at the training ground was really special, going back to a place I knew and still seeing the same faces and feeling the same love. I was on cloud nine. I still am. I’m loving it. It’s really challenging. To finish my playing career and automatically go into a job like this has been perfect.’
A full 12 hours before our interview, Neville had been on a training bike in the gym at United’s hotel. It was 7am and the former Old Trafford full back was on Twitter asking followers to suggest some music to mask the dull whirr of the pedals. ‘It’s the only time I get to myself now,’ he smiled.
Not that he would have it any differently. During an 18-year playing career that saw him clock up 263 league games for United and 242 under Moyes at Everton, Neville was the professional sportsman of cliche. Bed at 9.30pm. Straight to sleep. Put yourself first.
Only three-and-a-half weeks into his new job, it’s a little different.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment