Friday 21 February 2014

ROONEY SIGNS NEW CONTRACT

Wayne Rooney has signed a four-year contract extension that will keep him at Manchester United until June 2019.

The England striker's future had been the source of speculation since Chelsea attempted to sign the striker last year.

With 18 months left on his previous deal, some of Europe's top clubs began to take an interest in the 28-year-old, but on Friday night he committed his future to United.

As part of his new long-term deal, Rooney will also become a club ambassador for United when he retires from the game.

"I am made up to be staying at United," said Rooney, who has scored 208 goals in 430 appearances for the club.

"In August I will have been at the club for 10 years and during that time I have played with some fantastic players and won everything that I hoped I would when I first signed.

"I now have the chance as one of the club's senior players to help the younger players coming through and to be a part of another great United team.

"The fans have always been a huge part of this club and the support they have given me since my debut against Fenerbahce has been amazing. I am very grateful to all United fans around the world for their continued support.

Rooney's contract is understood to be worth around £300,000 a week and will be a welcome boost for United fans, who have seen their team slip 11 points off the pace in the hunt for Champions League football.



posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment