Wednesday 24 September 2014

Rossiter not getting carried away by debut goal

Jordan Rossiter knows he still has a long way to go to earn a regular place in Liverpool's first team despite scoring on his debut.

The 17-year-old became Liverpool's second youngest goalscorer when he found the back of the net in the 10th minute of Tuesday's League Cup victory over Middlesbrough, although Brendan Rodgers' side needed penalties to progress.

Rossiter had been substituted before the penalty drama ensued at Anfield having impressed in the centre of midfield alongside Lucas Leiva.

Rodgers praised the youngster's display but Rossiter is keen to stay grounded.

"I know personally that this is just the start," he insisted. "I've got to keep my feet on the ground.

"The manager just told me that I had done well.

"I need to keep on improving and to stay in and around the first team, while improving for the under-21s week in, week out.

"I'm still a long way away from being in the first team. I'm still only 17."

Rossiter has risen quickly through the academy ranks at Liverpool to become a regular with the club's under-21 side under Michael Beale and signed his first professional contract in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment